Monday 2 December 2013

The things you can do with bamboo

On Thursday 10th October I flew from Singapore to Jakarta with an airline called Valuair.  £53 all in, but I was a little concerned with the name & especially how it was spelt.  Was the plane going to be air worthy?  Turns out it was a cheap (due to distance) Jet Star plane which looked brand new.  An Easy Jet of SE Asia & Australia.

I no longer had the human calculator Yvonne.  I was to be in Indonesia for 1 month.  16,000 Rupiah to the £1.  I did not want a repeat of Lao.  I wrote my own converter.
 

In the end I did not go on a day trip to snorkel around & see Krakatau.  The company did not offer group tours-just private.  I decided that would not be much fun & too expensive.  I spent my time wandering around the streets seeing the city.

 

Even though I’d seen a lot on my journey this year, I’d say Jakarta ranks high on the culture shock ratings.  Wandering about by myself made me realize group travel really softens negative culture shock.  Friends actually make it positive as you can all point things out, share thoughts, make comments & learn together.  Also, with group travel if you have no plans of what to do, there is always someone who has an idea what they want to do, which you can then do together.  There were times in my 4 days here when I wish I had my Odyssey friends.

 


Jakarta is a massive city & another one I’d say without a centre.  Just made up of many districts.  The 1st stand out feature was the congestion.  In most busy SE Asian cities I’d been in, the population gets about on mopeds = very manic but flows.  In Jakarta, there were just as many people & vehicles – but they were all in cars.  There is no subway.  Bus lanes have been created called the Trans Jakarta Bus Way with chicanes to prevent cars physically using the bus lanes.  Every road was a traffic jam.  My taxi driver cut along back alleys & various hotel forecourts to get off main congested roads from the airport to the hotel.

 

It was also very noticeably polluted.  The sky was not blue, white or grey but yellow with smog.

Many people wandering about in costumes at the National Monument
 


I walked over a marked blue river on a map – it was a black slick open sewer.

 

I saw hardly any green space at all.  That which existed was covered with hawker stalls.

Rules ignored

Weapon anyone?  For sale at the national monument
 

There seemed enough tower blocks to rival New York.  On closer walking many tower blocks were empty.

 

There were many shopping malls.  The few posh malls like those in Singapore & KL were almost empty of shoppers.  The malls full of ‘market type’ shops were crammed with people.

 

I saw a massive flyover road system derelict & full of graffiti right next to a posh new shopping mall.

Another great pavement of Asia
 

There were shanty towns under the train flyovers.

 

Beat-up tuk-tuks, lack of street lighting, open drains, beggars, grubby looking street food stalls, corrugated tin buildings, many construction sites & many people wandering about with no footwear, teeth, matted hair & dirty clothes.

 

I guessed my hotel was along the tourist road as there were other hotels along it + it was walking distance to The National Museum & National Monument.  I’d describe the area as London’s Hackney.

 

This was a real mish-mash of a city where poverty was right next to extreme wealth.  I’m glad I did not fly direct from London to here as my first stop.

 

I met 12 more people making up the Intrepid Java to Bali group on Sunday 13th October.  Our guide Sally took us to one of the best restaurants I’d eaten in on this journey & a real insight to food of Indonesia.  Also, good value.

 

Just wandering the streets I’d never found a place like this.  I felt this was a city you needed to know to get the best from it.  If I end up in this city again, I’ll research it thoroughly before arrival, because not much seemed on offer to a visitor except shopping at the expensive malls.  It took a lot of wandering as they were far away from each other.

 

On Monday 14th October we left Jakarta on the train.  The 4 hour journey to Bandung wound around rice terraces.  I discovered Java was lush green jungle covered mountains.  I knew it was a volcanic island, but in the back of my head I imagined it to be more a barren rock place – being volcanoes.

 

 


Bandung was an art deco era city built up by the Dutch & now a city where The North Face & other such companies make their clothes.  We all wanted to get our bargains but were only in the city for one day.  Much to our disappointment we did not have time for a factory outlet visit during the city tour.

 

In the afternoon we did a real tourist thing of seeing a traditional show.  I thought it was going to be a bit tacky & not my thing at all – school kids singing & dancing in traditional costumes.  It turned out to be a really good interactive afternoon.  1st as the British contingent to sing part of The Sound of Music (I think there were only 3 of us out the 300 people) & then part of an Angklung orchestra.  The young children were a good laugh & the older children were very talented playing in their Angklung band.  At the end of the day, the moral message of the ‘tourist’ event was spelled out – different cultures having fun together, generating knowledge, sharing wealth & proving we can all get on without violence.  I was really glad to be part of it.

 


Next stop 7 hours away by mini bus was a Javanese beach tourist town called Pangandaran.  We were all spooked on a nature trail.  In a Japanese WW2 tunnel we discovered a monitor lizard & bats sharing the cramp space with us in the pitch dark!

 





Wed 16th Oct was a tour of the Pangandaran area.

 
Puppet maker


Bamboo foot bridge

Also strong enough for mopeds!

Naomi Krefti Kaela green canyon tour
Green canyon swimming


In the evening we had a seafood feast.  I tried crab for the 1st time – a bit fiddly & not much of it - is my verdict.

 


Thur 17th October was a 4h train journey to Yogyakarta.  Whilst staying in this town we visited the Buddhist temple Borobudur & the Hindu temple Prambanan.  Our 2 guides knew none of us followed either religion & were probably “templed” out as most of the Intrepid group had already travelled through SE Asia.  The guides were both a little different, but made the tours fun & I actually learnt info – not just in one ear & out the other.  (The Angkor Wat guide could learn from these two)!  I remember both guides pointing to the intricate carvings & saying something like “The stories they depict are very important but long, I’ll summarize it for you” & did in about 4 sentences, pointing at 4 carvings.  Not 4 hours & 400 carvings later!
 






Like in so many places before we were the main attraction for the school children

 

Sat 19th Oct I spent wandering around the main street of Yogyakarta & did a guided sunset walk.  We discovered the local bus driver’s carry-on like most in Asia = avoid head on collisions by inches.  Those of us looking out the front windscreen held their breath, the rest dare not look.  I was concentrating on not falling out the side door left wide open next to my seat!

 

Sun 20th Oct was a 4 hour train journey to stay at an environmental education centre.  Lovely scenery.  Open bathroom.  I did encounter a frog in the bog looking at me from under the loo seat!

Train vendor food in banana leaf


 

On Mon 21st we had a guided tour through the herbal garden & local village.  We popped to the village coffee shop for a cup of fresh ground Java coffee.  Apparently, the villagers have coffee here early in the morning where they find out the local news/gossip before heading out to the fields.  During the day I saw chilli’s, passion fruits, guava trees, mango trees, rice & peanut plants.  The tour was finished off with a cup of herbal tea.  We then had a 5 hour mini bus drive to our next hotel.

Hot

Under passion fruits

The local village shop-typical of many shops across Asia

Mango tree

92 year old lady in her house/coffee shop & proper Java coffee

Peanuts
 

Bernie looking at the tea contents

Naomi looking a bit concerned at the tea contents

Fresh into the pot by medicine man

Roberto's reflection with my tea

Cheers
On Tue 22nd Oct we were up at 3am for a jeep ride & walk to see the sun rise over the active volcano called Mt Bromo.  It was a clear morning.  It was the first time I had seen such a landscape.  It was weird to see smoke rising every now & then.  We walked up the crater.  It last erupted in 2011 & a 2km restriction zone was implemented.



 

With Richard Rosie & Bernie

 


Later on that morning we had a 5 hour mini bus drive to Kalibaru.  Wed 23rd was a plantation tour.  I saw coffee trees, papaya trees, coco bean tree (which is actually a fruit), pepper vines, rubber trees, clove trees, Dorian fruit trees & lemon grass plants.  We ended the tour with a cup of Java coffee in the old plantation house.

Fruit bats at our hotel

Coffee beans

Rubber tree



By Java.  Ferry to Bali

No comments:

Post a Comment